The Artbug Process

Over the past year, I have redesigned and reiterated multiple prototypes of Artbug's ecosystem, flow and microinteractions. They were built in Framer, Framer X, or Invision depending on the design phase I was in.

I conducted my research through AB testing, usability testing, focus groups and surveys. I also pitched the system to other entrepreneurs from a startup group I am part of.

What is lacking in the

current market?

A unified platform where you can get information on art exhibitions according to your interests, location and level of exposure to art education. 

Interactive means for getting info on artworks without taking the focus away from the artwork.

Ability to learn about artworks via conversation and user-generated information as opposed to reading descriptions or listening to audioguides.

Market Research

I started the project the looking into what is lacking in the current market, analyzing trends in the exhibition industry and how competitors are tackling some of these issues. I did this mainly via interviewing three groups of people — Art Enthusiasts (target market), Museum Workers (experts in the field), and Artists (experts in the field).

Opportunities and Features

Based on the pain points I discovered from the market research, I created a design criteria and ideated on different features the system ought to have to reach this criteria. I also looked into different ways in which the users could interact with the system based on posture studies. These were far-term and near-term solutions.

Information Architecture

Low Fidelity Wireframes & User Tests

I started making paper prototypes to conduct usability tests. Paper prototypes were used to validate features that I had ideated. These were the key features that users thought were useful to them.

Key Paths Tested:






Users failed at accomplishing 1 out of the 5 main key features - Asking questions.


Key Insights : Tablets are too large to be used in a museum context.

There was low discoverability for Ask a question button.

After multiple iterations and user testing via paper prototypes.

High Fidelity Wireframes & User Tests

People wanted to have a discussion on particular artworks instead of themes or their experience. They found that they appreciated an artwork more by asking more specific questions.

Microinteraction : Asking a question


Tap on "Ask a question" button to reveal a chatbox that you can type in.


"Ask a question" does not look like a button.

Users want to see questions by other users while they are asking their question.

Ask a question should be linked to the artwork they were looking at. But should also function as a search bar.


Tap on microphone to ask a question

by voice or tap on box to type in a question.


People feel like the main feature should be to use voice to input questions as you don't want them to take their eyes off the artwork for too long.

Side Anchors


Slide side anchor to the left to go to the next page.


Brings in an element of fun and discovery but it is not very intuitive.

Difficult to hit targets on such a small screen size.


Side anchors that takes you to desired section of the page. 


Very useful since pages are lengthy.

Button targets should be bigger.

Other Microinteraction Explorations


Additional information on each artwork is revealed with a long press.


Great way to "discover" more about the work.


Easily ask questions directly to your watch via voice. 


The design inspiration came from observations made of my interviewees. I got them to pick from a list of descriptive words and choose from the ones that were picked most. The words were Classy, Playful and Authentic. Orange was chosen as the primary color as it can be elegant if the opacity is turned down while being punchy at full opacity.

UI, UX Design, Business Strategy

Identity System

UI Design

UI, UX Design, Product Design

UX Research, Service Design

Font Design

Personal Project, Transmedia

Editorial, UI Design

© Radhika Kashyap 2018

+ 1 (626) 662 3927